Tuesday, 24 June 2014

Slimming World - Italian Meatballs

Well, I survived week one. It was pretty easy to get back in to the swing of things AND I managed to shift 6lbs! I realise it's not going to be such a dramatic weight loss every week but it's a good start and a huge boost of confidence for me. Fingers crossed I manage to shift enough this week to get my 1/2 stone certificate and sticker......it's all about the stickers!!

I'm enjoying trying new recipes and I think the Monsters are quite liking the variety. One they absolutely loved was the Italian meatballs and wiggly pasta  - or tagliatelle to us adults! I can't do spaghetti, I'm scarred after reading The Twits when I was younger. I don't want a plate of worms, thank you!

Anyway, here it is....completely syn free on all plans, though add 6 syns if you are not using the meat as a Healthy Extra on Green days.

What you'll need - 
  • 380g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
  • ½ small onion, grated
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • ½ tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tbsps chopped parsley
  • Salt and ground black pepper
  • 1 egg, beaten
and for the tomato sauce -

  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, crushed
  • 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 level tbsp tomato puree
  • 1 tsp chopped basil or oregano
  • Salt and ground black pepper
  • ½ tsp artificial sweetener
How to do it -

  1. Make the meatballs. Put the minced beef, onion, garlic, cumin, parsley and seasoning in a large bowl and mix well together. Bind with the beaten egg and then divide into 16 small portions.
  2. Roll each one into a small ball, using your hands. Place the meatballs under a preheated hot grill and cook for about 10 minutes, until they are starting to brown and the fat stops dripping out of them.
  3. Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Put all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
  4. Add the meatballs to the tomato sauce in the pan, cover and cook gently over a low heat for about 15 minutes, until the meat is thoroughly cooked.
mmmm, meat juices(!)

Do you think they liked it?!
Above is the original recipe, but ye know me....I like it saucy *wink wink* so I doubled up on the chopped tomatoes and puree to make it all go a wee bit further. And a word of warning....grating onions is the most HORRENDOUSLY EYE WATERING task I have ever put myself through! The best way to avoid your mascara dripping on your feet.....get some other mug to do it!

x


(recipe taken from Slimming World website:  http://group.slimmingworld.com/recipes/italian-meatballs-in-tomato-sauce.aspx)